To all who celebrates Christmas. Yes, Merry Christmas!
Now, please stop reading as the rest will likely make your Christmas less merry. Just sharing what came to mind regarding Christmas.
1) In Chinese translation, it means the day a Saint is born (圣诞节), or the day Jesus was born (耶诞节). The formal translation only suggest a Saint, but not Christ. The latter translation only suggest Jesus, but also not Christ.
2) The date of commemoration is not known to be Jesus' actual birthday. (wikipedia)
3) A festive season important for many to take rest and more importantly for many shops and businesses to make money.
4) Headache for many to hunt for suitable gifts for family, friends and others. Also headache for what to do with the gifts received, which are usually quite useless or redundant. Yet, recently a survey in UK found many unwanted Christmas gifts. Is this good or bad news?
5) Also headache for many parents who need to find ways to trick their kids into believing that Santa Claus came and gave the presents.
Have a Merry Christmas everyone. It is good to have Christmas for the holiday, festive mood, etc.